United States | Page 2 | World Challenge

United States

Finding the Ultimate Architect

Ilya Shchetinin
April 30, 2019

One World Challenge scholarship student shares how he went from a prospective architect to ministry leader.

I’m from Oregon City, outside Portland. Life was normal, going the usual route until this guy named Stan who was a Summit graduate married someone at my church. Whenever he was speaking, I noticed something different about him, so I finally approached him and said, “Hey, we should talk.”

Preparing for Easter

Rachel Chimits
April 16, 2019

Some of the great symbols of our faith have been sadly misused in history, but this doesn’t make them any less important.

My mother observed Lent and always wore all black to church on Good Friday. One time, shortly before we left the house, I asked her why. 

“Today is kind of like remembering Jesus’ funeral. Of course, we know he’s alive and waiting for us in heaven, but first he had to die.”

The Passover Controversy

Rachel Chimits
April 19, 2019

One of the biggest holidays surrounding Jesus’ sacrifice and resurrection is polarizing people.

Whether you’re settling in to watch Ten Commandments or Prince of Egypt with the family to kick off this pre-Easter weekend, the part of the story most likely to invoke questions among children or just generally inquisitive viewers is the angel of death and the Passover feast.

Helping Hands for U.S. Students

Rachel Chimits
April 9, 2019

Local churches, nonprofits and businesses have joined forces with their school district to help underprivileged students with spectacular results.

A few years ago, the Federal Department of Education found that 94 percent of teachers pay for classroom materials or students’ supplies out of their own pocket.

On average, these teachers spent around $480 with some footing a bill as large as $1,000 for school necessities.

Building Lives and Lands on Truth

Adewunmi Adetayo
March 25, 2019

Social innovator and World Challenge scholarship student Adewunmi is dreaming of bringing communities a clearer vision of who God is.

As a child in Nigeria, I always saw poverty. Maybe 2% of the population is living with a ridiculous amount of money, and the other 98% are spinning their wheels and going in circles even though there is enough for everyone to have enough. 

It’s just a fact of living there, though it shouldn’t have to be.

A Vision for Macedonia

March 15, 2019

While many younger people are fleeing the Balkans, God is calling one World Challenge scholarship student and others like him back to their homeland.

I come from east Macedonia, and I was raised up in a Christian family. All of my life, I’ve known who God is. I was baptized in the Holy Spirit when I was eleven and then baptized in water when I was fifteen. 

Kings of the Court

Rachel Chimits
March 12, 2019

“For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them” (Matthew 18:20).

Chauncey LaBrie serves at the Calvary Worship Center as the prison and inner-city outreach pastor. 

Breaking Free

Ian Watkins
April 25, 2019

In the darkest hour, God’s whisper saved one young man’s life and put him on a path to ministry.

Three years ago, a few friends and I decided to start a Bible study and call it Move of God, or MOG. We wanted it to be an invitation for others to get to know God.

I expected it to only be us at the beginning. I mean, after all, a lot of kids at my school knew me and knew who I’d been before I came to Christ.